Thursday, November 20, 2008

eHarmony sued for excluding homosexual options

This article confused the hell out of me...

I cannot even begin to think of why this suit would have come about. Why would someone spend their time suing a service like this instead of just going to a business that would have catered to them? Why didn't the courts throw this out immediately?

For those that do not know, eHarmony was founded by Dr. Neil Clark Warren, a devout evangelical Christian (sounds like the kind of guy I would consent with for advice on a same-sex date!) and psychologist. According to eHarmony, by way of the Wall Street Journal article linked above, the matching system is based upon analysis of opposite-sex couples. They did not offer dating services for same sex couples.

The alleged crime was discrimination. This is what I don't understand.

The website offered an opposite-sex matching service. This was well advertised. If you were a homsexual man or woman, you could still participate in the matching service offered if you would like. The results may be a little less satisfactory, since you wouldn't be paired with people of your preferred gender, but you could participate nonetheless.

In short, this means they wouldn't turn you away. You can only purchase the services offered, but you wouldn't be turned away.

Just for the hell of it all, I looked at a same-sex dating website. Did you know that I couldn't browse through profiles of straight women? I doubt straight women could browse through profiles of straight men either. Point being, according to this lawsuit, I am being discriminated against.

And what will become of the other specialty matching websites? They currently have them for people of certain races and religions. What will become of those?

If I visited a website that sold women's clothing and found absolutely no men's clothing, would I have a case for discrimination?

No comments: